3/20/09

Although there's only three points there's a lot to see! (I hope I don't hurt your eyes! enjoy. :D)

1. Scotland pictures.
I'm on the top of the world!! We were climbing the hills to see the fort and the view :D

There were a lot more sheep in other places :P but these ones seem so intrigued with the camera! Look! they're perfectly set in the picture!

Having the very large and tasty fish and chips! If you guys ever visit Van (or when I'm back in Van) I'll make sure to take you to a delicious fish and chips place or go back to the fish and chips place :P

The first sign of Spring. These little ones are called Snowdrops :D So humble in their own little way.

Oh boy! Rod Stewart in his younger (vinyl record) days. What a handsome young fella :)

Charity shops are situated all around the area and here is just one we visited that collected very cute dresses from the 30's to the 90's.

The capital city of Scotland: Edinburgh

2. I recently watched a video on Youtube with the topic "what matters to you". The guy who created the video was applying for the Vancouver Film School (and got in) and this was the video that he submitted. A lot, if not everything, he described in the video is how I feel about "what matters to me". He pretty much took what drives me and wrote it out (and I guess animated it too :P) We definitely have a very similar motivation and maybe a lot of people have the same motivation too. Here are a few things that he said:

What matters to you.
What matters to me?

I mean what really matters to me? That thing that keeps me awake without closing my eyes. The thing that makes you keep wanting to make it better and better and it's never good enough. The thing that makes you not only want to be good, but be the best. The thing that modifies your world and puts crazy new ideas in your mind. The thing that makes you hate yourself and the next minute makes you think you're the greatest. The thing that makes you smile, laugh, dance, jump like a lunatic. The thing that makes you be late. The thing that puts you under pressure.

The thing that makes magic happen.

The thing that makes your heart crazy. The thing that says every detail matters. The thing that when it's finished you say "ya, I like it" and months later you may say "wow, it's great" or "I can't believe it was that bad". That thing that creates the impossible. The thing that makes you enclose yourself to make a video where the possibilities are so huge (hehe. What a coincidence. These were actually his words). The thing that shows you the way to be the most creative.

THAT thing. So what's the thing?

the thing...

I can't describe it in one word. I'm sure it's not the money or the fame.

It's the love and the passion in making something great that makes you feel something when you get in touch with it, see it and hear it. To produce something innovative that makes a change or just catches your attention... that makes you smile, think, or say... "that's original". That's the thing.

3. MOHOLY GODZILLA!! (the title of my second version of my film for the Bauhaus Kino :P)

It's done done done :) and I don't think I want to re-watch it for a while. Also, I think (I'm not quite sure because people here are very indirect and don't really tell you up front or maybe just to me because I'm not German) but I think my film is in the exhibition because they made me write a description for the brochure and they keep giving me postcards and posters of the exhibition. I think I have around 150 postcards and 5 posters. Also, the exhibition opens March 31st... so soon! :S Here's a short description:

moHoly
is an experimental film that explores the possibility of combinations and juxtapositions with mixed media; It combines past with present, colours with textures, analog with digital, surreal with real.

An original photogram created by Laszlo Moholy-Nagy was built into a structure and a video was projected onto this structure. This entire process was then filmed from two different angles and later, the filmed footage was taken and amalgamated into the final product. By fusing together the imagery, music and the production method, moHoly depicts the indefinite cycle of what is possible with the numerous technologies of today. The film now being projected onto a screen continues this cycle of projecting, filming, editing... projecting, filming, editing...

Some interesting facts about the process:
- I was listening to Booka Shade when I first started and the electronic music really influenced my design aesthetic
- After that, I listened to 3 relaxed songs over and over and over again
- In the end, I had a total of 336 After Effects project files!
- It's 4.97 GB big! which is a bummer because it's just a tiny bit too big for the regular 4.7GB DVDs :P
- Instead of "burning a DVD" people call it "toasting a DVD" because the easiest program to burn a DVD is called Toast
- There's a story behind the name moHoly Godzilla. I worked in the video studio on two different computers and they name their computers after comics, super heroes, monsters etc. The second computer that I worked on and finished my film was named Godzilla. :P
- I used iMovie :P Although I really wanted and tried to learn both Final Cut and Adobe Premiere, it was far too complicated to learn in such a short period of time

for your eyes only:

And I can't forget to thank a bunch of people. A HUGE THANK YOU or VIELEN SEHR DANK!!
<3,
mw

2 comments:

Unknown said...

those stills for moholy look so good, you must show/upload that stuff in vid format soon!


and scotland looks so green :D

Unknown said...

I second Felix' comment: video format soon s'il vous plait! :D

The pictures from Scotland are amazing. Reminds me of PS. I love you ♥ And those fish+chips are making me soo hungry right now...

We're having our first sign of spring as well: GEESE ARE EVERYWHERE. I'm waiting to hear what Gloria thinks of their return ;) The weather is warming up slowly as well. Thank god.

Ooh you know, I've been meaning to ask you how your German is fairing? :D

Much love from Toronto ♥