7/17/09

The Most Difficult Thing

The Thought
I'm sitting here trying to finally design my website and "brand" myself and I'm finding it the hardest thing to do... and yet, I offer my design services quite frequently. Why? I don't know.

It might be because when working for someone else, it's an honest opinion; a yes or no; "I like" or "I don't like". They normally know the general feel of what they are looking for but for "designers" it's a whole different story. (or maybe it's just me).

The Reasoning
For myself, I know the design of the website isn't going to last forever, but yet it holds a lot of who I am. In fact, I feel that everything I do holds my reputation. It might not be "this design = mw" but every little piece carries a bit of me and it's that very "thing" that really pushes me to do everything to the best of my capabilities.

I went to a lecture held by Clemens Habicht and he mentioned the fact that your client has to fully trust in what you are doing because it is his/her face that is associated with the work. You, essentially, remove yourself of the responsibility... which is true. But what is equally more true is that if it is successful, it is the client who reaps the benefits and likewise, if it is unsuccessful it is the client who suffers. So, designers really do hold a lot of underlying responsibility that doesn't really surface and I believe that it's also this very "thing" that pushes me to do everything to the best of my capabilities.

The Conclusion
I guess I can say that I am my own toughest client/critic. Isn't it like that for most people? As for the website I am looking to design, I feel that it has to be a container for everything. It has to be neutral but not too neutral. It has to have a personality but not a strong one. It has to be this, but can't be exactly that at the same time... such an interesting thought and it exists because I can definitely recognize it when I see it.

Here's a music video titled "Skeleton Boy" that Clemens Habicht (the speaker) created. I really like this MV especially since he showed us his process, his thoughts while creating it and his inspiration.

Also, I really enjoy working with my hands and later digitally reworking it (ie. moHoly, Being With You, Shake Your Green.... almost everything I've done here is with that process; a mix of media.) Clemens definitely used this process in a very awesome, unique way :D

Watch Skeleton Boy

Also, don't forget to check out his site: clemenshabicht.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've seen your website, and I think you were quite successful with the branding ;) But I understand the difficulties of the process (why do you think my website is still non-existent? LOL)

hmmm.....

ps. Sorry I've been lazy to comment. I read all your entries, but I felt this one particularly needed a revisit!